Honey Christmas Dinner
Good afternoon bees… less than 1 week to go!!! We hope you survived ‘mad Friday’ and had lovely festive filled weekends! As you probably know, here at The Hive we’re nuts about honey, so of course our Christmas day would definitely bee lacking without plenty of the golden stuff J. With that in mind, we’re sharing two of our favourite festive recipes. One to keep the nibbles at bay whilst dinner is cooking (and maybe impress your guests with your ‘homemade’ party skills), and one to spruce up your Christmas dinner itself. They are both super simple, and are something a little healthier to indulge in amidst all of those roast potatoes, mince pies and Christmas chocolates!
Just Bee’s Chai Spiced Honey Roast Nuts
Perfect for nibbling on whilst you enjoy a glass of wine (or two!) or whilst the chaos of present opening unravels!
Time: 5 mins prep and 20mins to cook
Serves: one medium sized jar full (so it depends if you’re willing to share!)
2 tbsp. butter or coconut oil
2-3 tbsp. runny honey. We use Pa Harper’s, but recommend any raw British honey
300g mixed nuts (approx. 2 cups)
1 tsp. salt
Chai spice mix
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. crushed cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp. grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. crushed black pepper corns (optional, adds a spicy kick)
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Melt the butter or coconut oil and the honey together in a large, non stick saucepan.
- Add all the chai spices and mix well to form a sticky sweet mix.
- Turn off the heat and add the mixed nuts.
- Stir well until they are evenly coated.
- Spread them onto your prepared tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven, stir once more, and bake them for 10 minutes more.
- Remove them, season with salt, and then allow them to cool.
- Store in an airtight container (such as an old honey jar) for when the Christmas munchies strike!
Now what about the actual Christmas dinner I hear you say? Well here at Just Bee we’re a sucker for roasted veggies (Mum’s plain old boiled carrots just don’t cut it anymore). Yes, that’s right. No more soggy carrots. We’ve spruced ours up with a honey-twist…
Just Bee’s Honey Roast Carrots and Chestnuts
A deliciously sweet trimming to serve alongside the rest of your Christmas dinner.
Time: 10 mins prep and 50 mins to cook
Serves: 3-4 people (as a side)
6 large carrots (approx. 600g)
180g whole roast chestnuts (we love Merchant Gourmet’s, they’re roasted and peeled and ready for use!)
2 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. wholegrain mustard
3 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Prepare the carrots (peel, half, and then quarter lengthwise into 2-inch pieces).
- Toss the diced carrots and chestnuts with the olive oil, honey, wholegrain mustard, chopped rosemary, salt and black pepper.
- Spread evenly in an ovenproof dish and roast for 50-60 minutes until crispy on the outside, but tender on the inside (we recommend you give them a quick toss after half an hour).
- Serve straight away, whilst still warm. Bee-lightful J
Thanks for the recipes Chef Bee, we can’t wait for Christmas day now! We would LOVE to see how you like to use honey over Christmas, so please tag @justbeedrinks or email email@example.com with photos of your creations and as always, we will send the best ones a Just Bee gift box.
Finally bees, as the year comes to an end we want to wish you all an absolutely buzzing Christmas, and an un-bee-lievably happy new year.
See you all in 2017!
Blogger Bee x